Summer is still there but luckily for some, no longer at such sizzling temperatures as before. I, for one, don’t do very well in such extremely hot and humid climate. Maybe I need to start getting used to it?
Anyway, yesterday, we shipped out the super delicious August 2022 Coffeevine box and the first deliveries should be dropping on peoples’ doorsteps any minute now. Time to polish that grinder, prep your brewing water and get ready to dive head first into this exquisite selection of coffees from Nowhere Future Coffee Roasters, Awaken and Rum Baba.
And, as always, there is a wee playlist with some nice tunes for you. Enjoy!
As in any good kitchen or bar, you want to be sure to have a few key items at your disposal that will aid you in preparing a delicious cup of coffee.
- Scales (with or without a timer – you can use your phone or your watch)
- A good quality burr grinder such as the Comandante Grinder
- Your favourite brew method (Origami, Kalita Wave, V60, AeroPress etc)
- A clean vessel for brewing and decanting
- A ladle or stirrer for agitating the grounds
- Water for brewing
- A pouring kettle but a regular kettle will also do, however, it requires more precision
Feel free to take a look around our shop to see if there are things that you might like. We have a nice selection of items from Timemore and other brands to help you brew delicious coffees.
It’s very important to always freshly grind your coffee just before preparation because coffee is very volatile and quickly loses its full aroma in a matter of minutes.
You can also vacuum pack your coffee in portions, name and number each batch and then keep it in a dry cool place or put it in the freezer. More information about freshness and how to rest your coffees can be found in this article.
For espresso, I use my home espresso machine, a Profitec Pro600 espresso machine and a Profitec ProT64 grinder.
My recipe for filter:
16g of coffee ground medium. Depending on the coffee, you want to adjust your grind size with the goal of brewing your coffee within 2:30 and 2:45 minutes.
I am using the Origami Dripper. It’s just such a good brewer! Boil your water and rinse the filter. Discard the water and then add your coffee. You can use a WDT tool to make sure your coffee bed is nicely distributed before you start.
Start with a 30 second bloom using 40g of water. Then, add 60g of water and wait until the timer hits 1:00 minute. Continue with another 60g and wait until the timer hits 1:30 minutes. Then add the remaining 60g of water. Total brew time should be around 2:30 – 2:45 minutes.
Nowhere’s recipe for filter:
19g in (grinding finer then regular pourover); 94°C water temperature.
Pour 40gr of water, wait 30 seconds and then swirl gently, do not stir and sure all the coffee is saturated with water. After blooming pour all the way to the top and swirl again.
After 2 mins end extraction by pressing.
Nowhere’s recipe for espresso:
17.5g in and 39g out. Extraction time: 30 seconds. Adjust grinding size accordingly.
Awaken’s recipe for filter:
- Blooming with 45g water for 45 seconds. Stir or shake the slurry for even saturation.
- After 45 seconds slowly pour all the remaining water in a circular movement to reach 270g. Finish it off at 1:15-1:25 minutes.
- Gently rotate the v60 2-3 times and let the coffee brew. The bed should be flat and even.
- Total brew time should fall in between 3:20-3:40.
Awaken’s recipe for espresso:
Rum Baba’s recipe for filter:
Dose: 18g, Brew Water: 150ml + 50, Water Temp: 87ºC Spa Blauw (Bottled mineral water), Grind: 25 clicks on the Comandante grinder. Filter: single Aeropress filter. Brew time: 1:30.
1. Rinse filter with hot water, Grind 18g coffee, and drop it into the aeropress Inverted position.
2. Add 150ml of 87ºC water (agitate softly as you pour).
3. Stir 20 times.
4. Close filter cap and press any extra air out.
5. Wait until 1:30 minutes, then flip, swirl and tap down twice.
6. Start pressing from 1:35-1:55.
7. Add 50ml of room Temp water.
8. Taste and dilute further if necessary.
Rum Baba’s recipe for espresso:
18.5g in, 42g out. Extraction: 28 secconds at 91ºC.
What did you think of these recipes and the coffees from the August 2022 Coffeevine box? Let me know in the comments down below and make sure you subscribe in time for the upcoming September 2022 coffee subscription box.